Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Oh crap...

Yesterday, while driving to work and brainstorming ways to afford all of the kids upcoming activities and still be able to purchase them something for Christmas, my car "binged" at me. I looked down at the dashboard to see the check engine light lit up. And then the car started violently chugging and lurching.

Crap! Crap! Double crap!

I was located somewhere near the middle of nowhere and not within walking distance of anything. I figured my options were to flag down the next trucker or to chug and lurch my way to town. I chose option 3, call dad.

He recommended I chug and lurch my way to our mechanics, if possible.
So, I did. All the while praising my car for each successful intersection we made it through.
"You can do it, little car. You can do it."

Once I arrived at the mechanics, I sat in the car for a minute rehearsing my performance to accurately describe what my car's problem was. I'm not sure why a car problem can only be accurate conveyed through a game of charades coupled with some Grammy worthy sound effects, but that's the way it is.
I left my keys with the mechanic, prayed for an inexpensive repair, and hopped into my dad's truck to be transported to work.

At the end of my work day, my dad was kind enough to pick me up and help me figure out how in the world I was going to get the kids picked up from school clear back in Arlington.

Well, surprise, surprise. My car repair was not only going to relatively inexpensive, but it was already done! Hooray.

Then, my dad told me that the mechanic wanted to know if I was single.
What?
That's right. He thought I was really good lookin'. And wanted to know if I was available. And thought the best thing to do was ask my dad about me. Keep in mind that my mechanic is about the same age as my dad.

I was laughing about this with my sister later when she asked me, "Well, is he good looking?"
"Not really."
"Well, is he rich?"
"I don't think so."

Hmmm.
He could, however, save me a lot of money in car repairs. This may require further contemplation.

No comments:

Post a Comment