Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Bad End of the Week

The stomach flu hit our house this week. It was horrible, as it always is. And, to add to the horror of it all, it ended a 4 year long vomit-free streak for Savannah. That's right folks, she hadn't puked since she was 5! Dang it.

Savannah and I were feeling pretty miserable on Wednesday night and for a good portion of Thursday. But, by Thursday afternoon, I was really starting to feel a lot better. So much so, that I thought making the homemade granola that I've been dying to make all week should be done immediately. I'll add the recipe at the end of this story.

I mixed up all of the ingredients (it makes a lot) and spread it out on 2 rimmed cookie sheets, just as instructed. It then has to roast in the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me that baking granola in the oven for 2 hours while there are still people in the house that would rather not be smelling delicious baking. Oops. I was given tortured looks for the entire time and Savannah eventually gave up her spot on the couch to retreat to her room and watch a movie just to avoid the smell.

Well, after the granola came out, I had to let it cool completely before storing it in an airtight container. So, I mounded up the contents of both sheets onto one and left it on the counter in the kitchen to cool. Then, I went upstairs to sit with Savannah and watch Curious George.

I came downstairs a short while later and could hear a strange rustling sound coming from the kitchen.

What could that be?

I walk into the kitchen only to discover my great dane, Boris, with both of his feet up on the counter and his face deep in the tray of granola.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?" I screamed at him.

He quickly dropped to the ground and high-tailed it out of the kitchen, licking his lips the whole way.

This is the remains of my delicious granola. I only got to sample just a tiny little bit. :(

This is the mess he left me to clean up off of the floor:
And this is the bad dog laying on his bed with a belly full of granola. (and, honestly, he's not looking guilty enough for my liking)

To top off my not great day, I got Savannah to sleep that night, and right around midnight, Myles got the barfs, too.
Woe is me.

However, today I remade the granola. I put a baby gate up to block Boris from entering the kitchen. He was watching me intently as I mixed up the granola and put it on the cookie sheets. I know his dumb great dane brain was thinking I was making him another batch of yumminess. So far, I've kept him out of it. Ha. (I do get a sense of satisfactions when I am able to outsmart a dumb dog.)

Here is the recipe if anyone wants to make their own granola or a delicious treat for their dog.

Homemade Granola

1 lb rolled oats
1/2 c slivered almonds
1 c coconut
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/2 c wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c safflower oil
1/2 c honey
1/3 c water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a large bowl, toss together oats, coconut, almonds, sesame seeds, wheat germ and salt. Separately whisk together the oil, honey, water, and vanilla. Stir it into the oat mixture.

Spread onto 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir after 10 minutes and then again 30 minutes later. Cool completely and store in airtight container. Be sure to monitor the location of your pets while the cooling process is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment