Sunday, February 6, 2011

Some Big Exciting News...

This has been a very exciting end of the week for us. Savannah had won the 4th grade spelling bee at her elementary school a couple of weeks ago. Then, on Thursday she participated in her elementary school's spelling bee competing against the winners of the 5th and 6th grade bees. Guess what? She came in as runner up. So, that means she goes on to the Washington County Spelling Bee in a couple of weeks. This is super exciting and I'm a very proud mama.
To make that Thursday even more perfect, I had bought myself a Schlotzsky's sandwich for lunch after work. I am partial to the original sandwich and rarely get one, so it was a delightful treat.
Yum!

Of course, when I got off work, I had to race over there and then race back to Arlington to pick up the kids, all the while attempting to eat my sandwich and drive at the same time. This was the result:
Slight lap disaster.

This weekend has been a bit of a crafty one for us. Savannah was browsing the Michaels website and found this project for making a paper wreath. I really liked it and looked to see what materials would be needed. We were heading to Michaels anyway, so why not pick up stuff for one extra project.

Materials needed: a 36 page book of double-sided scrapbooking paper, staples, tape, hot glue gun, and half of a styrofoam ball. The only thing I didn't already have was the scrapbooking paper. Lucky for us, we found a book of Amy Butler papers on clearance for only $3.99!

To make this wreath, you have to tear each sheet out of the booklet and trim off the top edge so that you are left with a square piece of paper. Then, you roll the paper into a cone, use tape to secure, and put a staple in the bottom to create a flattened surface to glue onto the wreath circle.

After making about 10 of these cones, Savannah comes into the rooms and declares, "That is going to be HUGE!"

Hmmm. It does seem rather large now that I look at it. So, I go back to the website, and guess what? The papers are supposed to be 8.5 inch squares. I'm using 12 inch squares. Oh, well.

So, I continue on and finally completed the project last night. I glued all the cones into a circle, finished it off with the half styrofoam ball covered in buttons, and VIOLA...


One Huge Paper Wreath.

Even though it turned out gigantic, I still think it's cool. I hung it up in her room and it takes up one entire wall, but it's still one of the most awesome wreaths I have ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment