Tuesday, September 18, 2012

No New Ninja Moves



I went to a middle school family function tonight with my daughter.  They were going to be having a martial arts demonstration, anti-bully talk, and some free pizza.

I was going for the free pizza.  And to hopefully learn some ninja moves.  You know, important parenting stuff.

Unfortunately, the demonstration was not what I was hoping for.  I couldn't look at Savannah for the entire performance because it was taking every ounce of my strength to suppress the laughter that so was so desperately trying to escape out my mouth.  I knew that if I looked at her I was definitely going to embarrass myself and her.

Is it a sign of being a bad parent when you find yourself with your child at an anti-bullying presentation and all you can think about is how badly you want to take pictures to immediately post online and mock this dorky demonstration?  Probably.

So, as an exercise in self control, I left my phone in my purse and sat quietly through the demonstration.  I did not laugh or heckle the dorky martial art dancers.  ( I swear it was dancing.  None of their moves seemed menacing in any way.)  And, I did not snort kool-aid out my nose when I glanced over at Savannah when one kid's roundhouse kick sent his shoe flying across the stage.

I also did not learn any new ninja moves.  And Savannah did not learn how to confront a bully and karate chop him down.

But, we did get some free pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment