Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pierced!

Savannah has been begging me to take her to get her ears pierced. Sometime before Thanksgiving, she just decided that she wanted them pierced. BADLY! I had thought that maybe we would get them pierced as a Christmas gift. But, then I forgot. And, to be honest, I wasn't all that excited about the prospect of cleaning her earring holes and twisting her earrings anyway.
My ears are not pierced. I had them pierced when I was 6 years old, but the earring got embedded in my ear and had to be pulled through from the back. I was traumatized and have not had any desire to have them pierced again. Well, not until I was 12 or so. Then, I thought I wanted to have them pierced and accompanied my younger sister to have hers done. The plan was that if it went well for her, I'd do mine as well. Only, once I saw the ear piercing gun go up against her earlobes, I nearly fainted. I had to be removed from the room. It was embarrassing. Ear piercing trauma number 2.
So, when Savannah started ramping up her campaign for the ear piercing, I started to get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach again. Bad things happen in 3's right? Would this be the setting for my third ear piercing trauma? I can just imagine the stories. Savannah's ear piercing would have gone smoothly, except her mother suffered a concussion after she fainted dead away in Claire's. Or vomited on the Claire's employee. Or shrieked and made the piercer jump and accidentally pierce Savannah's nose. The potential for disaster seemed great.
But, since I am a mom, I had to suck it up. And, we got the ears pierced. Man, that girl is brave. She didn't panic beforehand and she didn't cry (which earned her 2 suckers!).
And, even better, I didn't embarrass her by fainting, vomiting, or shrieking. I've even been able to help her clean them without needing anti-nausea medication. But, we'll see how the first earring change goes. I've got until Saint Patrick's Day to build up that courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment