Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cootie Monster at the Bookstore

Ok, today I thought I would stop in at Borders on my way home from work today. I have been searching for the new Flea Market Style magazine and haven't been able to find it. Surely Borders will have it, I thought.
I was really surprised while looking for it at Borders because their magazine racks are surprisingly bare. I mean really really bare. Is this the current state of the magazine world? If so, it's very sad. Unfortunately, it directly parallels the state of my current finances, so I can't do much about it.
Anyway, I located the magazine, grabbed it and headed back to the craft book section. Honestly, there were only about 5 people shopping in the store while I was there. It was mid afternoon and not a busy time. But, of those 5 people, there was one really special lady shopping near me. I noticed her sitting on the floor in the music books section. Since there was nearly nobody in the store, when she pulled out her cell phone and started talking to someone, I could hear the whole conversation.

Here's what I heard:

Lady: "Hey, do you remember those sores I had all over my hands?" Pause. "Yeah, well they spread EVERYWHERE."

Me: What? Did I just hear her correctly?

Lady: "I went to the doctor about it and he said it was impetigo." Pause. "I know I had that as a kid too. Anyway, he said that it's EXTREMELY contagious and I could have caught it just from being near someone that had it. It's really really bad."

Me: Is this a joke? I tried to peek over the shelves to see if she was trying to be funny, but I couldn't see her. Do people really have these conversations over the cell phone in public?

Lady: "I am seriously so itchy!" Pause. "I'm at the bookstore. I wanted to go out shopping."

Me: As quickly as possible I dropped everything in my hands and hightailed it out of there.

Seriously? Was she seriously discussing her current highly contagious skin sores while casually shopping for books? All the while contaminating everything she touched?
I raced out to my car, pulled out the hand sanitizer, and bathed in it. Then, while driving home, I got an itchy feeling on my right hand.
Paranoia, I think. But, I'll let you know if I develop any sores.

Now I'm off to the kids' science fair where, hopefully, my sores and I won't become the subject of study.

No comments:

Post a Comment